Monday, October 24, 2005

かぼちゃ



Today's English class at Tsumei Sho Gakko was gross, loud and fun. We carved pumpkins. The kids absolutely loved it. It was everyone's first time, including the English teacher's, which means I had to give her a well-needed (and well-heeded) heads-up on how messy an operation children's pumpkin carving can be. My demonstration pumpkin (pictured) was met with many calls of "Kakkoi!" when lit, which means 'cool'.



Keeping very busy. On my only night with no commitments I am getting a haircut before me weekend in Sapporo (or "Civilization" as some have come to call it out here, not that we'd trade it for anything). Quite cold today, the wind is biting. I've always found inside colder than outside here because the homes aren't heated the same way as in Alberta. Thus, I don't find it too cold outside now, but many are commenting on the weather. I was asking the kids today what the weather was outside, a small test of their English, and they all answered back 'snowing'. I said, "No, no, no, it's not snowing." But much to the kid's chagrin, when they got me to turn around and look at the window, it was snowing. Only slightly, the kind that melts as soon as it hits the ground, but it was flurries nonetheless. I spotted some very beautiful, but I think very cold, horses on my way back to the office, right by the side of the road.

No comments: