Wednesday, October 26, 2005

Good Pizza



If you want good pizza in Japan, or even pizza just brought to you without corn on it, your best bet is to make it yourself from scratch. This is exactly what Kevin, Yuki, Natsue and I did last night. Kevin had the foresight to learn how to make great pizza dough before he left the States. I am much indebted and in awe of his skills. We all choose what toppings we wanted and made various pizzas to share. I think the Ham and Pineapple Pizza turned out the best but all the pizza was eaten, a testimony to how good the pizza was. We reserved the kitchen at the Pure Malt Center for two reasons; it's free and its the only place in Shikaoi with an oven. There is no charge for the use of the facility if you clean up after yourselves and leave it the same way you found it. I very good deal. I think we are going to try to make lasagna next time, but all of us are so busy it may be while before a day can be found that we are all free.

I visited Urimaku kindergarten this morning. I taught my students the alphabet, 'Twinkle Twinkle Little Star', and 'Ring Around the Roses'. They loved the last game, being more that content to repeat the same four lines again and again and falling down (to great laughter). They are practicing now for a small festival, roughly called a "school cultural festival," but the true Japanese word doesn't translate well and we have no equivalent in Albertan Schools. It's to be held late in November. It may seem a bit early to start practicing for the festival but teaching kindergarteners anything is like trying to bottle lightning (and training it to jump through a hoop), so it's best to start early. It is very nice out today; sunny with a warm breeze. I'm lementing spending the day mostly inside the office, but I am planning a breakout. Send Help!

No comments: