Thursday, November 03, 2005

Japanese Cultural Festival Holiday


I am constantly amazed at all the different interesting things that happen in the building where I work; the Chomin hall building. (This is a large public building anyone can use, the rough translation is Town Hall, but it does not share the same connotations.) All this week, various cultural arts and crafts completed by Shikaoi residents over the summer are on display. This same activity is happening in almost every town hall in Japan this week. Yesterday was a holiday (Yes, I know it was sandwiched on a Thursday; and no, I don't know why its done this way.) Here in the Fall they have all sorts of interesting holidays. A day for Sons, a day for daughters, a Respect for the Aged Day. But yesterday, the calumniation of the weekends events, was marked as a Japanese Cultural Festival Holiday. As a foreigner here, I am left wondering, "isn't everyday a Japanese Cultural day?"

The top picture is the best one I took of the Chrysanthemums - the flower of the Emperor - of which there is a whole tent full outside. Their called kiku. It was also my first time seeing flowering bonsai, really amazing! Some of the Chrysanthemum stocks were all tall as me - the tent is like a forest. Below are more images of various other projects on display. I would like to stress these are all done by residents of Shkaoi.




No comments: