Tuesday, November 22, 2005

Tuseday Night Becomes Friday Night

I remember asking on of the grade four teachers last month: how they did? how they taught such energnic kids day in and day out? He reply, with a smiling on his month, "we drink".

Every month the teachers make it a point to go out for dinner and then drinks in Shikaoi. In Japanese culture you are more likely to go out with your co-workers than your good friends. Your life, in many ways, revolves are work. An excuse is needed - the smaller the better - so this month it was the After Happyokia Party. Sixteen teachers came for dinner at Tori Sei, and quite a spread was put before us. A fun was of assigning seats was devised that bears mention; through rolling a special dice is was decided where everyone was seated. This was to make sure everyone mingled I guess, but there was no one I minded. Dinner was great, just laughted and laughted. There was also a second party that I was dragged too. Really!

I decided to write this post because during dinner I just had a Wow moment. I felt like should pitch myself. I couldn't believe I was in Japan doing what I was doing. Perhaps it was a strange thought to have during dinner. But I really felt so welcomed in that school; I was happy, then and there, with my choice to come to Shikaoi.

No comments: