Tuesday, November 29, 2005

Two Things About My Day

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

I'm trying to think warm thoughts as the wind is howling at my door. Shaking the house. I'm glad I decided not to go out. Tonight, the above image that represents the two main features of today.

I had a great greeting today at Sasagawa Kindergarten, before I started today's lessons at the elementary school, with all the kids yelling my name. I had been planning to do some songs we had been working on - which we still did a little of - but I wanted to changed gears and recognize the weather outside that was on everyone's mind. The kids loved making the paper snowflakes. Then it was off to the elementary school, which was a bit different today - no grade ones and twos. But I was still able to play soccer with them after lunch in the gym. Getting to Sasagawa today was a bit trying - it's just up the country road - but its alarming having snow scrap the bottom of your car. I'm going to look at the bright side and say; at least it didn't even drop below zero. Wait... That means it's impossibly heavy wet snow. I don't really know how much it snowed today in the space of six hours, but I'd guess around 30 cm. Some people say more, but, because its so heavy - and it rained, with thunder - it all got compacted down. It was like the sky just opened. I don't think it will snow again any time soon; there can't possibly be anything left to come down! I was going to go for a run, at the sports center, but after clearing my small driveway of its burden, I retreated to the house this evening. I did see signs that snow was starting to be cleared by front end loaders. We'll see what morning brings. I noticed no one (but me) has attempted to clear the sidewalks in town. I'm guessing now I won't be seeing them until the spring. I completely understand why you have to bow to the will of the snow Gods at some point; if you didn't your life would be reduced to clearing snow all winter. (Stores and essential sidewalks will get cleared, but for the rest, there's the road to walk on.) I just keep saying to myself; "I can handle this as long as it stays above -10C."

I was so touched that my kids like today's project. The messier the better, in my opinion (I should add, the kids are extremely good about cleaning up). I taught two, three, four and five year olds. We practiced "Twinkle Twinkle Little Star" (with actions) and did "Head and Shoulder, Knees and Toes" (everyone could benefit from doing this song once in a while). The kids at the kindergarten have a strange affinity for that song. They would happily do it over and over again if we let them. I think it's a good warm up song. Today, standing in front of the kids, singing Head and Shoulders offers me a perspective that not seen by many. I don't know how to capture the moment but I would like to share it. It's wonderful, and amazing to me, that I get to see it almost everyday. Each child beaming ear to ear. Eyes bright. Laughter on their lips. It makes me smile too; but inside my heart is heavy. So much joy - it doesn't seem fair somehow, in the grand scheme of things. By the sound of this, perhaps my life is getting much more simple, just the snow and the kids and the night. I don't think it is. I was going to work on some other writing tonight, but I'm glad I posted.

Hope everyone stays warm tonight.

No comments: