Thursday, March 23, 2006

せつぎょうしき


The strongest cultural experience I have experienced recently were two of my school's grade six graduations, Shikaoi Sho Gakko and Kamihoronai Sho Gakko. They were both a stark contrast to North America's more upbeat view of graduation. Talking to Kevin about Japanese graduations in general, I know what I saw was the rule, not the exception. Again, the grades five spearheaded the event with teacher oversight. The surprise for me was how formal and how sad the whole thing was. It is both Kevin and I's conjecture that the event (at all our schools) is specifically fashioned to elicit this reaction.

It would perhaps be helpful at this point to comment on my own grade six graduation and North American elementary school graduations in general. When I graduated from grade six, I think my parents took Sean and I out for pizza or fish and chips or something. From what I can remember, the general feeling was that while the milestone was small, it was still a happy occaion: I had survived grade six, now I would be going on to grade seven, anything was possible. Anything having to do with school was small scale or non-existent. Then, after twelve years of schooling, missed graduations, and brainwashing, all released in as a torrent in grade twelve. I personally feel that my grade twelve graduation was well worth the wait.



Japanese graduations seem to hinge on the fact that it's all over. A final goodbye. I have mixed feelings about the whole process. Toward the end of the ceremony, after the speeches and what not, the grade sixes, sitting in front, turn to face the rest of the student population. (I have included images above to illustrate.) Normally, each group sings each other a song (sometimes of original composition). Also at this point in the ceremony, students yell out messages to each other. The grade sixes asking all to "Do their best!" with the younger students replying "We won't forget you! Please don't forget us" This leads to crying is because the messages are deileved so personally. The event stresses the dire finality of the moment. It was hard for all present, teachers and parents, not to be touched by the students' moving words and show of raw emotion. Yes, crying; balling. I wouldn't call it out of control because it was expected, but I don't envy the task of having to get the students back under control later. At Shikaoi Sho Gakko, even after thirty minutes had pasted, one could walk past the grade one classroom and still hear sobbing. Even those whom I consider the most genki of students succumbed.

I don't understand the reasons for creating the event to unfold as described. I suppose maybe it's some kind of physiological exercise to prepare students for real-life but I don't agree with it. I want to see my kids happy; all the time. I needn't think long to know where I stand on this issue. I don't agree you should sugar coat everything. Never say 'no' to your child or some such nonsense. You have to be honest - sometimes brutally so - when real-life dictates. Conversely, you don't need to make an event so overwhelming that it breaks the kids. Their just kids. Doesn't real-life present children all over the world enough hardship and challenges? Does one really need to engineer a heart-wrenching drama? I highly doubt it. The student's at Kamihoronai bounced back much quicker, mostly because the four girls that were graduating have strong characters and set a powerful example for younger students. They will grow up to become healthy and smart and have all possibilities open to them (if I have anything to say about it).


Now we enter the period of Spring Vacation; and if I worked for a school instead of the Board of Education I would have I would have a vacation now. Sigh... As it stands I will still be coming into work and maybe go to some kindergartens.

2 comments:

James said...

on the other hand
it should be recognized that the emotions elicited from the children makes it a beautiful experience.
without having witnessed the ceremony i extract that these children were simply given the opportunity to display their emotions in a heathy and guided environment.
Far better than lashing out later at home or otherwise feeling as though there hadn't been a chance to say goodbye to their classmates.

Anonymous said...

getting them ready for the real life?

That's a bit too soon for grade six right ?

In any case, it looked like a big event for those kids. I didn't even have a graduation ceremony for grade six here in malaysia