Sunday, May 21, 2006

Sakura in Japanese Culture


This year I was fortunate to enjoy my second cherry blossom season in Japan (my first was in Koriyama). Before having the opportunity to live in Japan, I had only a remote understanding of Japan's relationship with Cherry Blossoms. I had learned in school about Sakura; in fact I understood the Japanese went crazy for Sakura once a year. But what I didn't understand was why it was such a big deal; I mean, it's just flowers right?

Sakura have a long history in Japanese culture. The fleeting beauty of the experience also holds deep significance for the Japanese. I only have room to address one example of Sakura's influence in Japanese History. It is also probably the easiest to grasp, best studied, and most interesting example. So many poems have been written about Sakura's meaning and beauty that it has warranted the publication of books on the this single subject. Poetry is probably as good a way as any to understand Sakura.

There is one related vocabulary word that I would like to touch on; Hanami. It roughly translates as "viewing cherry blossoms." This involves picnicking - ideally - under the cheery blossoms. The origins of Hanami also stretch far back in history. In my experience it is a time to share good Yuki niku (barbecue) with friends. Alcohol is most certainly involved. Good Yuki niku eaten outside on a warm night with good friends easily tops, in my mind, eating out in Las Vegas or some such refined dining experience. Japanese can, at times, be wound a little tight, and Hanami offers an excellent and time honored way to relax. Hanami in Tokyo though looks like more work than it's worth but in Shikaoi it is quite a refined and memorable time. (Notice the lit up tree in the background of the image below.)


Something I was surprised to find was that the Cherry trees in Shikaoi are generally smaller than ones found in Honshu (from what I remember). Even today, Cherry trees are still very popular to plant, but in Koriyama there were gigantic majestic 300 year old specimens. (This is easily explained by the fact that Hokkaido was only settled 100 years ago.) Sakura trees in Japan are inevitably some of the most pampered trees anywhere on the planet; they are pruned and trained and watched very carefully. There are many types of species, creating different shapes and colours of flowers. The most popular creates blossoms that are just barely pink and normally bloom before the leaves are out. Trying to describe Sakura on a blog is ultimately limiting. I have described the results before as looking as if the tree was illuminated from the inside; as if it was glowing from within or radiating light itself.

The relationship between Japan and Sakura commented on by academic sources referred to above call Sakura an "enduring metaphor for the ephemeral nature of life." Which, in one sense I agree with, and in another sense don't understand. Seeing trees burst in to flower, and knowing that it is only going to last - at most - a week, does spark a certain reflection about nature and life within one. It makes you focus on the naturalness of all change that sometimes we, as humans, don't want to acknowledge. And without getting too existential; it does make you reflect on one's own mortality and the transitory nature of life.

I think I did a good job taking photos that represent Shikaoi's Sakura, or at least I am satisfied with the results. What the images can't express is the inevitable amazement one has on seeing these trees in person. Or, for that matter, seeing paths and roads and hills densely planted with them as far as the eye can see. Getting to walk and drive among the Sakura as part of a normal day is exciting and memorably. Driving out to my schools and passing many Sakura this week, it is somehow comforting that a species of tree that seems to have evolved such a useless adaptation somehow survived for our enjoyment.

I cannot remember before living in Shikaoi having ever enjoyed Spring this much.

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

4 comments:

Monsta said...

-simply beautiful-

bb said...

Thank you for your kind words.

Kami Akai said...

The pictures that you have given us of the world is awe inspiring! I thank you muchly *bows* ^-^

Playoff highlights:
Edmonton v.s. Anehiem, Edmonton won two in a row.

Buffalo v.s. Carolina, Buffalo up one.

bb said...

I listened to game one over the internet. Nice to here they are two up now!

Thx BB