Friday, June 09, 2006

Exceptional Friday!

Dang, I had a really good day.

To begin, last night I went to my first O-Tenki Matsuri or "weather festival." It was a symbolic gesture to ward off rain the day of the sports festival. In reality, it is a thinly veiled excuse for Shikaoi elementary teachers to eat yuki niku, visit and drink. But in good form we kept up the veneer throughout the night. It popured - we were actually housed in Kocho sensei's garage (predictability smaller than Canadian garages) - but we didn't care. The heavens can open on us so long as we get good weather on Sunday.

As I have commented elsewhere; the last two weeks have been so screwed up because of the various sports festivals that it felt great having normal classes again at Urimaku Sho. Nothing too grand or different, but I was glad to see the students and gave 150%. All my students were exceptionally happy to see me too and we laughed a lot. During second period, when I didn't have class, I went over to the nearby kindergarten. They were, as per usual, ecstatic to see me. To warm up we always start with "Head and Shoulders." Those kids never get tired of that song and love the actions and I just don't feel I can deprive them of their happiness. The grade five/six class is a bit odd; much quieter than most of my other five/six classes and thus I have to change my demeanor with them. No jumping around, throwing things, no lighting stuff of fire, no animal acts. To my mind, the younger the child the less different there is between individuals. Lunch was with the grade ones. So there I sat talking to six year olds about every topic imaginable (except philosophy, politics, economics, American Idol etc.).

And they make me laugh; am easy heart-warming laugh that I don't remember from university and probably forgot from childhood. A good example comes from today's lunch. In Japan it is customary when talking to put down your chopsticks. One of the students, sitting just left of me, kept knocking his chopsticks on the floor when he got excited. The third time he did it I just had to chuckle to myself; he has just no luck. He didn't care though. He's a happy kid and just bounced up and wash them off.

In the afternoon I had to drop something off at Shikaoi elementary school and was drafted into preparations for the sports festival. I didn't hesitate, though weather conditions were horrendous and the objects heavy. I was not prepared at all, but jumped in, and the teachers and parents present appreciated the help.

I think today was an exceptionally good Friday. I aim to have more Fridays like this where I feel this good at the end of it. If I study Japanese after I post then I can feel good about what I accomplished today. I plan to write tomorrow and then I have the sport festival on Sunday. So posts may be short and to the point.

No comments: