Friday, July 07, 2006

Who Thinks This is Funny?

I was sent an e-copy of a book by some local Tokachi English teachers. It is interesting for several reasons: It was written in 1879 and it deals with learning Yokohama-dialect Japanese (the area just south of Tokyo) . I am not sure who will find this funny. From my perspective as an advanced student of Japanese I laugh in wonder at how he came up with some of his translations and the constructions there of. There too far off to be of any help. Readers with little knowledge of the Japanese luggage may find little of interest, but I could be wrong. I would like to strongly caution against using the link as any sort of guide to learning Japanese; an infinite number of monkeys writing a Japanese textbook will probably get you closer to conversational Japanese. I took some pictures today and I will try to get them up later.

No comments: