Wednesday, August 09, 2006

Dealing with Mornings

I uncovered a slight mystery upon my return Monday: Three cryptic - to me - letters. I did not have the opportunity until this morning to bring them into work and have someone examine them. My Japanese is only good enough to give me a rough estimation of what I am looking at. I know they are letters. Two I know signify that someone had stopped by - twice - while I was out, making sure to leave a note of their intentions. But what were their intentions? The third smaller yellow card was meaningless for all I could tell.

It soon was revealed to me that all letters were from the post office. But the post office is also my bank [long story]. I thought the word she used referred to the bank part of the post office and assumed the worst, I asked my co-worker if I should worry. As this point the section chief overheard us and came over; we can't very well have one of the foreigners worrying in Shikaoi, can we? I have been here long enough to have an inkling of where this is going. Things could really snowball from this point. I can't read things all the time; but because of the loyalty and helpfulness of the Japanese, my queries can cause quite a commotion. Now, keep in mind, this is all happening before work even officially starts. Am I really ready to deal with the repercussions of my investigation? Soon, everyone that had been in the office early were eagerly studying the letters. A lively discussion ensused; what do the letters mean? how should we break it to him?

At this point it becomes clear that the letters are all connected and that they come from the post office side of the post office. In fact, in actuality, at this point, I had already deduced the true meaning of the letters; they referred to a package I had already picked up from the post office Tuesday morning. See how things can get overblown? It is decided by the section chief - my dear dear section chief - that he needs to phone the post office to straighten things out. I resisted the temptation to roll my eyes and instead simply took a deep breath and watched him phone the Shikaoi Post office. The reason I felt compelled to roll my eyes - maybe let out a long sigh - is because I knew, in general, what the reaction on the other end of the line would be. A phone call about me, by the section chief, to the post office, would cause a commotion there too. And really, I am definitely not worth the commotion, not even a small one. Satisfied I understand what's going on and that said package is in my possession, I am dismissed. This puts me in a predicament, I walk back to my desks with many "Sumimasen's" and "Arigato's". Now, with the mystery solved, feeling guilty over being the cause of so much commotion so early, I feel ready to crawl back into under the covers but must instead get to work (...on this post).

No comments: