Monday, August 21, 2006

Elaboration of Yesterday's Image.

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

The image I posted yesterday of me riding a miniature train at Matsumoto-san's struck me as - in general - representitive of my time here. Here's me, all dressed up, looking cool, riding a miniature train around a garden. Perhaps I really like contradictions raised by the image. Japan, on any giving day, is full of both deep philosophical contradictions, such as squaring away Japan's traditional past and ultra-modern future, and just plain logical contradictions that don't compute in my head but work well and naturally within the Japanese psyche. Secondly, it strongly represents the environs of Shikaoi. If one does end up dressing up in Shikaoi, it can be normally assumed, unlike Tokyo or Osaka, that you will be doing something exciting and unexpected, not simply ordering a shrimp cocktail at a restaurant. To bring this point further, there is rarely a reason to ever get dressed up in Shikaoi (my kids lurk everywhere). Lastly, it should become clear from looking at the photo that I do really bizarre things on a daily basis - with gusto! I normally attribute this to teaching kids, which, if done successfully, causes one check their self-respect and sanity at the door.

4 comments:

J said...

I agree with you 100%. I had the same feeling when I lived in Japan.

Chrlane said...

Thanks for visiting my blog. I enjoyed your photos and Japan looks fascinating. Are you originally from Canada? :)

bb said...

Yes. I am originally from Canada. From Shikaoi-cho's twin town in Alberta actually.

Chrlane said...

Neat. :)