Sunday, September 10, 2006

Picture of the Week

Free Image Hosting at www.ImageShack.us

Between having gone for a run this morning and it raining again, I found myself at home this afternoon. I took this picture last week and have not found time until now to develop it. Yes, in the digital age, pictures need a digital darkroom. But this in turn this leads me to one of the reasons I like the picture so much; it needed very little post-processing in the first place. The tonality in the picture is fantastic. I was surprised when first viewing the image on screen how good it looked - that I had gotten exactly what I wanted and more. Last Tuesday, again following a rain shower, I watched from the office the sun getting lower and lower. I knew it was going to be a good sunset. I left work the minute it was over and got home just as the sun dipped below the hill west of me. I had to be quick, I grabbed my camera from inside the house and rushed outside again. Unbelievably, that image is from the edge of my driveway. Unfortunately, computer screens tend to compress the delicate tonality of this type of image. Paper printing will generally offer greater dynamic range and subtly.

No comments: