Thursday, September 28, 2006

Waiting for Friday

The Shikaoi Board of Education is starting to get very busy with preparations for the high school trip to Stony Plain next week. Large wrapped boxes containing the official gifts were dropped off yesterday, causing visitors to the office to wonder aloud why they were so big, what they contained, and why there were placed in the exact middle of the entrance. Lately, I have been privy to some "interesting" queries regarding Stony Plain, including a long conversation (at the behest of a parent) about what medical procedures are available at the Stony Plain hospital and how much they cost for foreigners to access (someone might need to get stitches out or something). Neither of which I had any great insight into. I'm not worried in any case because, as I explained, Canada is not the Amazon and the students are traveling with the cadillac of travel insurance.

I did speaking and listening tests at Urimaku Cho today. I was pleasantly surprised at the high level of English demonstrated. Some students were almost conversational. I was the most surprised by two girls in grade 7 that when ever called upon go white and barely speak at all. Today, however, they showed good composure and improvement.

I plan to eat peanut butter and banana sandwiches for supper tonight because I am just that crazy.

No comments: