Sunday, March 25, 2007

Where did Saturday Go?

Wow. Yesterday went by very fast with various errands and chores. My day ended up being very different that how I planned. Interesting days like that. Went for a run like I normally do on weekends at the Sport Center and met some of my students and weakly tried to play soccer with them after. So that was longer than expected. Also, in the morning I got invited out to dinner later that night with Hosono-Sensei (principal of the High School and all around good guy). That was a very pleasant surprise (and great yaki-niku).

Today was a lot slower. March is so sunny in Tokachi but today was weird weather. It looked rainy, like we were living on the ocean; this was accompanied by a very damp fog. It was odd because if one actually popped their head outside they would have discovered how amazingly warm and humid it was. No doubt a layer of warm air was trapped by cold air above. Everything that was wet - which included everything because it's Spring and the snow is melting - was eerily steaming. I thought it was quite moody and would have loved to have gone for a walk but by the time I got my stuff together the magic had slipped away to just overcast skies.

Also went for about a 1 hour 30 min run today (I reckon). I feel great but I worry about the narrow bends in the track. But the alternative of running on very hard pavement this summer is also concerning. What to do? sigh...

Oh and while shopping today I found great 100% whole wheat bread. It makes me happy because it's so rare here. I have been to that bakery many times before and have never thought to check that side of the shelf. Are you sitting down? I bought two loaves of six slices each for 300 Yen. Yikes! You can buy 20 or 30 slices of whole wheat at Safeway for around 99 cents. haha. I haven't tried it yet so I should reserve judgement.

In response to some comments:A Sobetsukai is a work dinner. It takes place only over this time period where the school year is over and many people are switching schools. It shouldn't be confused with saying-goodbye-to-the-old-year work parties or saying-hello-to-the-new-year work parties or the Obon festival work parties in August or the general welcoming and goodbye parties held throughout the year for staff or dinners after mini-volley ball or dinners after softball, etc. Looking at all the opportunities for work parties it's safe to assume that I'm pretty much busy most of the time with one dinner or another. It represents an interesting reflection on Japanese culture how much work obligations push into your own personal life. I think the frequent parties act to congeal team spirit and also act as a group relief valve or sorts. It's much harder to yell at someone in anger when you spend so much time outside work and have done rousing karaoke duets of The Rolling Stone's "Can't Get No Satisfaction" with them.

No comments: