Monday, April 09, 2007

Okay, So yesterday.

The local elections council threw me a curve yesterday; while there were elections held none were for Mayor. Which is kind of distressing because it means two more weeks of flyers and people coming to my house. The worst though is these vans outfitted with loudspeakers that drive around at odd hours rallying support for their candidate. I don't clearly understand what they are saying due to the very polite non-daily Japanese used compounded by the poor quality speakers ripped off from M.A.S.H. Should be an interesting race (if I cared to pay attention) because from what I know there is no love lost between some of the candidates. However, being Japan, everything stays civil and respectful at all times. Nothing can get out of hand with it being such a small town. Things like that could reverberate for a long time.

Also, school started today for the kids. All the kids seem to have quickly transitioned into their new grades. Luckily, what was going to be a huge grade six class was split at the last second into two smaller classes. Because drugging them is out of the question, spliting the class will make things much more manageable and I think the kids will repond well. It was a smart choice to split the class. It was nice to see the new grade ones, many of which I knew from my oft visits to kindergarten. Everything they do is cute at this stage and it's hard for me to put up a stern face when disciplining them (for juggling knifes, copying something off TV, fire-eating, violating copyrights, demonstrating jump-kicks, etc.).

Oh, and imagine looking out your window and it looking like the a Scotish Isle in early Spring; grey, damp, cold, miserable. Yup, that's spring in Shikaoi. But I must admit, walking around outside it does feel like the trees and grass are waiting for just one sunny day to all turn green.

Oh, and my parents will be entering China this morning via cruise ship. They will need some luck if they want to clear customs quickly.

The good pencil sharper was still missing as I left the office today. I stay hopeful for its quiet return tomorrow. Will update.

2 comments:

James said...

You could get in trouble for talking about drugging kids Blair, you should be more cautious when blogging.

its a good thing you didn't post it on twitter, i can see it now

"Thinking of drugging the kids"

bb said...

Your up early.

I weighted this word choice. But I think "Drugging kids is out of the question" seemed clear; its not cool and I strongly believe its a parental choice. No one is "thinking" or considering or pondering anything. BTW: What exactly are you quoting? (I never never used the word "thinking.")

None the less I changed things around. Now it doesn't just "seem" clear, but is clear.