Sunday, June 03, 2007

I'm A Writing Machine!

I have an office day today with my classes getting cancelled at the last minute. I am taking full advance of the day in the office free of interruptions to keep writing. I say free of interruptions because Monday is generally busier than Friday and thus today no one has time to speak to me. I'm just trying to keep my head down and stay out of peoples way. I also made a very nice phonics worksheet. I'm only taking a break now from writing because I got frustrated when I couldn't spell "guarantee." I'm definitely not a spelling machine. In any case, I have tea and will soon be writing again.

Warning: The following contains comments on politics and the environment.

Listening to Canada's honorable Prime Minster Stephen Harper sometimes boarders on the absurd and he really cracked me up this week. I think he needs more pre-school aged advisors because then he wouldn't come off as seemingly disconnected from reality so often. This week the honorable Prime Minster is going the G8 summit in Germany. I don't really have an opinion on the summit other than the protesters are acting like cry babies. The environment is on the agenda. Again, I don't really have an opinion on that. However, it was released that the Prime Minster plans to ask the other G8 counties for special treatment for Canada. Despite Canada having arguably the worst environment record in the G8, the honorable Prime Minster feels that Canada should be exempt from any targets because of our growing population and gas industry. Probably surprising to the readers, I don't have any problem with Prime Minster Stephen Harper holding this opinion. However, when he asks other nations for an exception the whole situation looks absurd. I'm surprised he can ask with a straight face. He is asking the other G8 countries to clean up Canada's share of the mess. The reality is - that the Prime Minster seems to be ignoring - is that these countries have their own problems. They are not waiting by the phone, waiting for Canada's call, to please clean up our mess.

The analogy is this: I have been to many craft days at various kindergartens. A situation that rarely happens is that Kid A makes a mess, turns to the other kids and asks "please clean up my mess." It happens rarely because even young children understand responiblity and they understand the underlying logic that one should clean up their own mess. Why is something basic in a pre-school classroom lost on Prime Minster Stephen Harper's advisors? (Yes, I know the whole issue it more complicated than that, the poor guy has to be re-elected someday.)

No comments: