Monday, July 23, 2007

Sneek Badminton

I was invited to be a last minute ringer for a teacher badminton game held yesterday at Shikaoi elementary school. The grade one teachers needed someone to RepReZenT and I snuck onto the team last minute. The second part of the tournament to decide the winner will be held next month. I am confident the grade one teachers will lead. The grade six teachers looked slow and stiff and unprepared but the other grades were looking sharp and out for blood.

I wasn't nearly at top form. For some reason I was so stiff after my long run on Sunday and felt embarrased listing the large number of joints pains I had when pointing them out to my teammates. Parts of me I never new existed hurt. In the back of my mind I was thinking; Should I play? Am I falling apart? I'm being a bit dramatic. I actually feel pretty good overall, especially once I start playing, everything loosens up. My belief is that if one isn't a little sore after a workout you probably aren't exercising hard enough. One contrast that I was especially aware of was, becuase I run, of how good of shape I'm actually in. My partner, who I thought played very well, was exhausted after three of what I consider easy games. Yeah for me, I thought, I'm going for a run after work!

Because I was so sore, even my bloody elbow joints, I treated myself to an onsen last night. The nearest nice one is a twenty minute drive away but if you go after dinner on a weeknight you can have the place nearly to yourself. Without all the weekenders and it becomes a very tranquil and rejuvenating experience. Technically speaking, I have been told that for joint pain and muscle soreness coldness is actually the way to go. But after soaking in that nutrient-rich volcanically-heated water the muscles can't help but relax (to the point of jellification). I feel so good today. Is there anything a dip in an onsen can't cure?

Back to real badminton tonight. But then two days off badminton and running because of summer parties. They aren't too bad because I am out of the schools until next month but I really want to run.

No comments: