Saturday, August 18, 2007

The Alpha and Omega


I begin this series of updates with descriptions of the beginning and end of my trip. In the week prior to visiting Canada my mind starting to stumble upon all the wonderful things I could eat and drink again; Tim Hortons coffee being one of them. This sometimes polarizing Canadian delicacy had skipped my mind for two years. Vancouver International Airport was more than accomidating listing five locations on its website. The big problem, however, was that I had no Canadian funds. [insert sad face] In comes Sarah, a great friend living in Vancouver that not only offered to meet me during my layover but also promised keep me company in a state I can only discribe as shell-shocked after leaving the orient for the first time in what seemed like forever. *And* she paid for a large double double. I'm forwarding her name to the Vatican! Included for anti-climatic effect, a picture off the Vancouver airport's Tim Hortons.

Free Image Hosting at www.ImageShack.us

The was lots to celebrate during my last supper: I was satisfied with the oppurtinity to eat my own plate of food but my parents upped the ante by delaring it their anniversary party. If travellling 9000km for great Italian food isn't enough (thanks Allegro), we welcomed into the Birdsell family my younger brother Sean's fiancee Laura. She doesn't like mushrooms but, if I may be so bold, five at the table instead of four already seemed more natural. (click to enlarge)

The flight home was pretty nasty. I couldn't sleep at all due to my legs feeling squished and being unable to get comfortable. I bet I slept 40 mins on the entire international flight despite feeling totally exhasted. Showing how tired I was, having scored a seat from Nartia to Sapporo with tonnes of leg room and two seats to myself, I fell asleep as soon as we were in the air and didn't wake until the plane's landing shook me into reality again. As mentioned previously, I was unable to sleep on the night train as well.

Still to come: Folk Fest!

2 comments:

Clinton Lane said...

You found my site by accident? I found your comment by luck. I don't update too often. What were you looking for?

bb said...

I had been searching for running stores in Sapporo.