Friday, August 10, 2007

No pictures as evidence

I have been waiting to post in the hope of including pictures, you know, to prove I'm really here, however, I have not been able to get my stuff together satisfactorily. In any case, it has been a busy week. Going to Calgary for two nights to see my grandparents and young nieces and nephews was great. I have everything on my shopping list covered and so extra time has been spent with old friends. Last night continuing into this weekend is the Edmonton Folk Music Festival. It was just plain cold yesterday but the weather is improving into the weekend. I will definitely post some pictures of the folk fest as it is one of the most impressive events in the world when the weather cooperates.

A couple of things I have noticed being home: It has been nice to be back in a world where I can read all the signs. Kanji is pretty decent but is no match for the shear number and speed of Japanese signs that pass me daily in Japan. Also, and more strangely, I have enjoyed eating a'la carte and not sharing a whole meal served in multiple dishes. Just having one plate is pure joy. Lastly, the english TV universe has been an eye opener. It sort of skipped my mind that somewhere in the world people watch TV in english. My TV in Shikaoi barely goes on once a month. The experience here is made easier because of our new toys of sattilte and PVRs; this means the convience of no commericals. Ahhh, what a revelation that is.

Less than a week left here. Things never really got unpacked but pretty soon everything will have to start going back in the suitcase.

1 comment:

James said...

it was nice to see you sink back into a "normal" everyday type of canadian living, and i'm very excited that you are going to have your old place back