Thursday, January 03, 2008

Oh the perogries I made for dinner!

Free Image Hosting at www.ImageShack.us
Free Image Hosting at www.ImageShack.us
Free Image Hosting at www.ImageShack.us

Things keep rolling here at the Tsuchiya’s where over the New Year’s holiday Japanese formalities were put aside for a taste of the exotic. Starting with deli sandwiches we made ourselves on New Year's day. With so many mouths to feed in the Tsuchiya’s busy house, I volunteered to organize lunch. I insisted on top quality tomatoes, cheese, cold cuts and bread and this was no small feat since over New Year’s many shops are closed but it went a long way to making the lunch a success. The 2nd was put aside for perogies. Perogies are a good meal to make in Japan because the ingredients are readily available at any store and it doesn’t require an oven, however, some creativity in the kitchen is still required since the available kitchen implements are different and space is limited (I used a sake bottle to roll the dough). This time there were even more months to feed so good organization was required on my part but I had lots of practice under my belt and everything was timed perfect and came off smoothly. Not a single scrap of perogy or topping was left. I didn’t get an exact count of how many I made but we had cottage cheese and potato and cheese fillings. Other than eating myself into a coma over the holidays, I feel very relaxed.

No comments: