Thursday, January 10, 2008

Overnight train in Japan

The route from Sapporo to Tokyo is well travelled and it's lucky for me out of the 16 or so stops one is Koriyama Station. The Hokutosei schedule has stayed at two trains a day for years but the route has been neglected and other lines get newer cars. Thus, the styling is a bit dated in addition to the expected Japanese efficiency and super-small size. The bathrooms are located at the ends of the cars - no luxury suite for me - and there is a lounge and restaurant car. I loved how I had to step up to my - I hesitate to call it a room - cabin? cubby? During the trip south, it was snowing heavily in northern Japan and, as I have mentioned before elsewhere on my blog, one of life's simple pleasures is staring out the window watching Japan pass by. On this occasion the snow gave way to a dream-like scene out the window. It was dark, but the lights of the apartments and houses we passed showed warmth. The mix of heavy snow and night created a moving black and white representation of Japan. A situation so direly beautiful it pains me. During some portion of the route as the train picked it's way along the coast, a silvery-grey sea was impressed on my brain. The movement of the train immediately made me sleepy. The slight swaying. It's like the motion a child in its mother's arms. No one could possibly resist that and indeed I slept well.

Free Image Hosting at www.ImageShack.us
Free Image Hosting at www.ImageShack.us
Free Image Hosting at www.ImageShack.us
Free Image Hosting at www.ImageShack.us
Free Image Hosting at www.ImageShack.us
Free Image Hosting at www.ImageShack.us
Free Image Hosting at www.ImageShack.us
Free Image Hosting at www.ImageShack.us

1 comment:

Honey said...

This is my first time i visit here and I discovered such huge numbers of intriguing stuff in your blog particularly it's talk, much obliged.
Train Running Status