Tuesday, September 06, 2005

TYPHOON: At work with too much free time.

For then I heard A voice say, "Build an ark, gather the animals two by two, and bring sushi." Okay, so I made that last part up, but it is raining cats and dogs here. Computer internet and jacket problems abound. I had no hot water until this morning at my house; really us Canadians have become far too attached to it anyway, and theirs a typhoon coming. Lets us blog!

To first give the reader a full view of what here looks like, I will introduce my surroundings. I an at work right now. To my left is Tomoko Yamaki, further left is Masashi Kagawa, kitty corner is Sanae Kon, furthest away is Hasui Etsurou (assistant section chief) and directly across from me is Shikaoi`s other assistant English Teacher (AET) Kevin, very nice American from Philadelphia. Let my quickly dispel any notion that he may be a stereo-typical American. He is well read and well traveled, having lived in Shikaoi now for more than a year, lending him an air of open-mindedness and insight into the workings of Shikaoi. He is actually out right now teaching class, were as I start next Monday in elementary teaching. The other other side of the room has another island of desks, their purpose is unknown, but they do have some connection with the board of education. I was introduced to them, but I forgot their names yesterday. I`m not stupid, its just that yesterday I was introduced to more new things then I normally have to deal with in a month. The real trick is to get them to repeat their name again, so I can add them to my cheat sheet, without them being insulted. Big windows in the room look on to a very green landscape and a small Japanese garden being soaked by rain. The room is a buzz with news of the appending storm. Minor Minor flooding and strong winds (50 km/k) are expected. I had been scheduled to visit a local principal this afternoon but that was canceled because he was not available. He is probably busy sand bagging. The atmosphere of the office is much more relaxed than I had expected. There is much laughing and constant small breaks for a drink or tea or coffee or smoking. I guess this is what they mean by small town atmosphere eh?

I will delay writing about my house because, as the Chinese say, a picture is worth 1000 words. It you cannot wait that long, I have posted a picture of the exterior that my father took in July. If you are still impatient, imagine the floorplan of your house, but half the size. The house has very clean wood floors and tatami mats. I am also the proud owner (renter?) or a Japanese bathroom, its not as technologically advanced as some of the over hyped bathrooms in Tokyo, but it is just as awkward. I will leave the details (complications?) of a Japanese style bathroom for another post. Recycling and Garbage is also another interesting topic which warrants the readers attention, but since it took 1.5 hours for Yamaki to explain it to me I will pass over it today.

Every single second thus far has been busy. I don`t mind. It keeps my mind off the things Ive left behind, turning the pain into something duller and more livible. This evening, right after work, I have made plans to go to Obihiro with our good friends the Usui`s for sushi. Its been five long years since Ive had Japanese sushi and I can`t wait. Because I`m now far away I will say this about Albertan sushi. While it by no means is gross or inedible-- I`ve eaten it often-- its just not the same. Read often, such up coming topic are to include: driving on the wrong side of the road and how to survive a typhoon.

No comments: