Thursday, September 29, 2005

Urimaku Elementary School

Today I visited another elementary school where Tsukiori-sensei works. She was one of the teachers on the Stony Plain trip. She looked very healthy and energetic today when I saw her. I think her English is better after the trip, or at least she is less shy about it. I taught everyone in the school (all fifty of the) and also left for a period to visit the kindergarten class on the same grounds. I loved the architecture of the kindergarten/pre-school. A very impressive and super well-thought out facility, made totally of wood with huge windows. Needless to say, I found the kids very happy to see me and excited to practice their ABCs.

At the elementary school, Tsukiori-sensei had brought back chocolates and maple syrup candies from Canada for her kids. It was funny to watch the children make four bites of the little chocolates. I, of course, also partook. I find most Japanese desserts gross, not because their inedible, but because I don`t find them sweet enough. Their made for the Japanese Pallet, which mostly I think is much subtle, except they really like spicy things. But to continue, I normally eat only Original (sometimes called Kodomo, Child) POCKY. So it was nice to eat some Canadian sweets.

No comments: