Monday, October 17, 2005

NaNoWriMo

Man, am I tired today. Two classes of grade twos and one class of grade ones. I'll leave it to your imagination what I look like after teaching 70 kids because I just don't feel I can type a long post about anything. I loved it though, those kids are great and ultimately I'm no worse for wear. We did Halloween projects. I'm also starting to cook more. I made some grilled miso rice balls. Yum. But ingredients is still a large issue in cooking.

I've been wanting to put this up for a couple of days now. In November I will be taking part of NaNoWriMo 2005: National Novel Writing Month. The website, however, makes clear it could in reality be called "International Novella Writing Month", but that's not as catchy. It's a global Internet event of of creative sacrifice. Basiclly, in the month of November I will be attempting to write a 50,000 word novel. I have from 12:01 AM November 1st until 11:59 PM November 31st to finish. Shout out to Pat who introduced me to the event and will also be taking part (read: blame him). The event started several years ago as an exercice to get over writers block. Just write and write for word count rather than "high art". As the years passed it has grown and refocused on global literiacy, a sure cause to support. Click the logo for more information. If you are wondering how long 50,000 words are: it's about 170 8"1/2 by 11" pages double spaced in Times New Roman. Of Mice and Men, Catcher in the Rye, Brave New World, and The Great Gatsby are all about 50,000 words long.

No comments: