Sunday, December 11, 2005

Not the Big Post




To make clear, this is not the big post I mentioned in the previous post. This post simply refers to what I did last night. I went to the Shikaoi Christmas party, though in hindsight there was little mention of Christmas or Santa. I really had no idea what to expect, which is pretty much par for the course for me here. It could have been anything: A quiet sit down dinner with 50 people, or a rousing dance party; my students and their families could have been there or just my boss. I still didn't know quiet what to expect even upon arriving. I had had some hints beforehand because we had been asked to wear costumes. I went with something that would give me an excuse to carry around a cute teddy bear; for my students or cute Japanese women, which ever situation presented itself. I also went in my pajamas and a scarf.

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

As you can see from the pictures, it turned that it was a pretty cool party, with a groovy local DJ, fancy lights, a live band and lots and lots of great food. Many of Shikaoi's young people attended (that were drinking age) and it turned out to be a lot of fun. I'd say that maybe around 2/3 of the people dressed up (except those there were too cool). Many of my co-workers showed up (and kept buying me beer) and I had fun mingling with everyone and introducing myself. One of the quirks that I just love about Japan was represented in the starting time; the tickets clearly stated that the event started promptly at 6:58 PM - not 6:57, not 6:59, not 7:00 PM. (For the record it did start exactly at 6:58 PM). Furthermore, it was scheduled to end promptly at 9:02 PM. In Japan, when the party is over, someone stands up and says, "It's over" and everyone clears out. Overall - even with the two extra minutes - I think the party was just getting started when it was set to end. It had been announced that there would be a second and third party at various local bars to accommodate the surprisingly large crowd but I did not attend. (I knew the organizers and even they were surprised by the numbers). Everything was very well planned and executed with typical Japanese zest. As the image below shows, even the exterior of Chomin Hall was beautifully decorated for the event. In the excitement of the evening I forgot to snap a picture of my costume so I apologize. I will tell you that it was a very comfortable way in which to spend the evening.

No comments: