Thursday, January 26, 2006

Groceries

I have noticed recently a sharp rise in the price of fruit and vegetables at the local grocery store here in Shikaoi - Fukuhara. As many know, Japan already has a reputation for expensive produce. An example of this would be in Sapporo at the Mitsukoshi department store, considered one of the more upscale department store chains in Japan. On the basement level, where, traditionally, Japanese department stores have housed their groceries sections, one can find a small kiosk that specializes in fruit and vegetables. This site must really be seen to be believe. Many across the whole have heard of 10 000 Yen watermelon, 6000 Yen cantaloupe, and 1500 Yen apples and pears; but it is quite another spectacle to see them all in one place, wrapped up like priceless china, looking absolutely perfect, as if just recently plucked that morning from the Garden of Eden itself.

To bring this around back around to Fukuhara. I have been noticing the slow drift up of produce prices since December. But this week there was barely any produce below 100 Yen. That's harsh. What am I suppose to do for vegetables? I don't want to exaggerate; there were some different types of mushrooms imported from China that were under 100 Yen. But since I don't know their names finding recipes to use them in will be difficult. I guess this is my excuse for buying more meat this week since it calculates out to be cheaper. Everyone is promising that prices will fall to more rational levels come spring. I just can't justify buying 200 Yen spinach or 300 Yen green peppers; and I love spinach!

A very warm day here today, but so to Edmonton from what I hear. The kids at Urimaku Elementary School seemed happy to see me. Especially the grade three and four class. We always have a good laugh and I think they are very motivated students. Those kids brains are like sponges. Today we were learning different actions used everyday. "Get up. Eat Breakfast. Go to School. Yadda yadda yadda." My classes, in general, always tend to be more on the chaotic side, and certianly this class seems to do well under those conditions because it keeps their attention very well (although it is loud). In any case, one of the actions was "Play" and everytime, through out the entire class, when it came to that word, everyone would yell. Too funny. It kept cracking the teachers up that I could get them so wound up. I think next weekend I am going to the Urimaku Speed Skating Taikai. I have been promised there will be Hot Chocolate, here called CoCo, and if it is this warm it will be nice to be outside. I have also been playing lots of badminton, but I really love it so much I wish I could play more.

1 comment:

Monsta said...

wow! that's some expensive fruits! can buy as investments... heh

10000 Yen; i could purchase a nice Gundam model(s) with that amount of money

have a wonderful weekend Blair! :D