Saturday, December 31, 2005

My Thoughts on New Years

This morning is starting very slow. I was up early, as per usual, but I'm still in my pajamas and it's already noon. This New Years holiday is starting nicely if I do say so myself. Now I am indulging in some good tea and reading. At the moment, taking advantage of my freetime, I am in a writing mood, and decided to post because I am not sure how often I will be around to post over the next couple of days.

Last night, as I walked to the Usui's, I found the streets nearly deserted. It's amazing how similar the effect of New Years and Christmas are. I believe that really is the best analogy. (Except perhaps that New Year's holidays lasts days instead of a single day.) Even now, almost every shop in town is closed. The nearest open grocery store is in Otofuke. I had foreseen this and had stocked up on Friday, except forgetting the absolutely necessary staple: rice. Alas, I will not be home for many meals over the next couple of days anyways. To the left is an image of the absolute feast that was prepared for us, it includes many Japanese delicacies. Just before midnight we ate soba, which is part of a long tradition in Japan.

This morning, before my parents headed out to their New Years Festivities, they phoned me and we were able to wish each other a Happy New Years. Luck has stuck twice today because I have been invited back to the Usui's for Mochi later. Hurrah! Actually, make that three times, because right now I'm getting the Oilers vs. Flames game live over the internet while writing.

Only one of the Usui's children was able to return to Shikaoi for New Years; my old partner in crime, Kazeteru. He is back from University in Fukoka (in the far South). Mrs. Usui was lamenting that her daughter, Hitomi, was unable to return from Sapporo because of University.

I was struck this year how little emphasis there is on the actual ticking off of seconds before midnight. Kazeteru and I were eating our second bowl of Soba and, if you watched the T.V., you would see many Shinto ceremonies that take place on New Year's that overshadow the exact moment. January 1st represents a much deeper transition than we consider it in North America.

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

No comments: