Wednesday, May 10, 2006

Final Thoughts on Koriyama


My final thoughts on this trip are perhaps the most important. Anyone who lives overseas, learning the native langauge, oblviously has a very different experience than many whose trips are short. This fact was brought sharply into focus on this trip for me. Again and again while living overseas my understanding of the Japanese culture continues to increase. So much of Japanese cultural is not written down and cannot be found in textbooks. It is learned through long years of cultivating important relationships and building trust. (For example, Okiwara-san's sushi lesson was precious. I was surprised it took me living in Japan now for just under two years to learn something that every Japanese consider's common knowledge.)

I think it is a very powerful experience, and overwhelming, to return to somewhere and feel so at home instantly after years away. Some changes were drastic but many relationships hadn't changed at all. Honestly, I felt returning was very emotionally draining for reasons I haven't completely understood myself yet - in a good way, I should add. I find myself already exicited about the possibly of returning. Thanks to everyone in Koriyama that made me feel so welcomed and especially the Tsuchiya family for their kind hospitally; the care and feeding of what really is just a big kid.

No comments: