Monday, June 19, 2006

Oilers go home without the cup

It is with some sadness I now shift my focus to Japan's World Cup Race. I ran to the computer right after fourth period ended like I was expecting an email from the prettiest girl in school. I rushed checked the Oiler's official website; it came up frustratingly slow on Tsumei Sho's old skool IDSN line. The results became clear soon enough that the Oilers would be returning empty handed. Just like the Calgary Flames last season, I don't hold it against the Oilers. Any series taken to seven represents very hard work and a lot of dedication. It was great while it lasted. Now, it is with some trepidation that we await Japan's game with Brazil on Friday. I plan on cheering very loudly for Japan while they still have a team in the World Cup. Some what underhandedly I am already considering who to cheer for after Japan gets sent home by Brazil. Is this wrong of me?

In regards to technology, the differences between my stay in Koriyama six years ago and my life here now are remarkable. International phone rates have decreased substantially because of competing. I was able to talk to my parents and Grandma M. over the weekend: The calls were unrushed (except for the time change) and the line is normally very clear; like talking to someone across the street. Constant access to wireless internet also makes setting up said phone calls much easier. The photos, the blogs and the live streaming radio feeds increase the feeling of technological connectedness.

No comments: