Thursday, June 15, 2006

Simplicity

Simplicity is often a word used to describe Japan. Art and food, etc., are all simplicity incarnate. But this entry is about a different type of simplicity. I awoke this morning expecting an energetic - though normal - day of classes at Urimaku Elementary School; this often includes a trip to the nearby kindergarten. Looking back, my experiences at the kindergarten were the only thing different about the day. Instead of my normal class with sixteen bundles of joy and energy I had forty; Tsumei and Sasagawa kindergartens joined Urimaku because of a cancelled field trip. There was nothing to do but laugh when told of the changes. I had brought stickers to practice English self-introductions, but only enough for sixteen. Out the window went that lesson plan. But I am slowly and accidentally becoming a "Super Teacher"; with nothing but my bare hands, string, a penny, and my wits, I pulled off a great class. I had previously taught all the students before, but never in one place.

My real discovery with small children is how much depth they find in the simplest of things. A fact I often leverage. I have created a game that captures the essence of this philosophy that no one seems to have thought of before, or dared to think for that matter. For no particular reason except that it needed a name, I call it, "Nigeru Eigo Bango" which simply translates as "Escape/Get away English Numbers." The game itself is even simpler. One just counts and steps forward and then eventually I yell "Nigeru" and all the kids scatter to the previously designated safe-zone. It was an epiphany that I didn't even need to try to catch or tag the kids. They were thrilled to just keep counting and stepping and then running back. Again and again. Nothing could be simpler. Maybe you wondering how on earth that can be considered fun? Yet judging from their reactions it's a success. It is hard to describe the absolute din the kids make when I yell "nigeru." It's a shriek - to be sure - but their faces say joy. The game can be easily scaled for ten or forty because it's so simple.

The teachers were grateful and in awe; in awe, like myself, over how simple the game was and how well it worked, and grateful that I was able to quickly ingrate the three kindergarten. The noise forty kids make is overwhelming, especially considering that at any one time several of the younger children (two year olds) are crying. My departure was more than riotous than ever and the kids looked well on their way to making new friends. It is so rare to get all my students in one place and wanted to get a picture but understandably things were just to chaotic to think about getting out my camera. I was in constant motion high-fiveing, hugging, prying kids off me, picking stragglers up, consoling, trying not to step on.

I am normally very healthy these days because I don't dare face my students when I am less than 100%. That way we can both have fun. Most days after class I am tired but not exhausted. Today I am borderline exhausted. Maybe no run tonight? Bed by nine? I will have to evaluate my situation to see if I even have the strength to make dinner.

No comments: