Monday, July 17, 2006

Fireworks!

At the end of this post I have something amazing to talk about, but first there are many things to cover; too many. To get everyone up to speed: My mom is visiting me as part of a delegation from Stony Plain. As of now, she is on an overnight to Asahikawa trip with the group. As a result, I have sparetime to restock the fridge, clean house, maybe rest, and do a full update. I cannot possibly cover everything that has passed in detail - nor has anyone been clamoring for it - but I do have images.

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

Above is an image of Shikaoi High School's principal, a position of extreme respect, dressed in a baseball uniform for the High School Festival opening ceremonies. The image was taken after he bounded onto the stage, wearing a mask, pretending to be a famous Hokkaido baseball player (whose name escapes me), shouting greetings. The ceremony is used to introduce each home room - six classes, two of each grade.

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

Later in the ceremonies, the Stony Plain delegation was asked on stage and officially welcomed. I include the above image because of its cultural significance: everyone is wearing slippers. (I hope the picture shows it.)


The school gymnasium was the location of many activities over the weekend festival. I include an image of the darkened gym because the place was absolutely sweltering while we were there. It has since cooled substantially in Shikaoi - not quite to snow - but has started to drizzle. The High school was also decorated to the nth degree but in bumping into so many people I knew, I neglected to get any pictures of some of the amazing work.



A parade was held through Shikaoi and at two designated points students held a homeroom demonstration inspired from their chosen theme. (Pirates, the Dutch, Yosokoi, etc.) It was an excellent way to contrast high school in in Canada and Japan. On Sunday evening, during the closing event, a winning homeroom - guaranteed to be a departing grade twelve class - was awarded a school spirit prize. Also note each classes' float, also conforming to each home room's chosen theme.


The delegation also participated in a traditional Japanese Tea ceremony (run by a high school club). I had forgotten how serene and beautiful the ritual is; the tea is still gross though.




Saturday night, between days spent at the high school festival, was something I have been waiting for all summer: The Usui's famous yakiniku party (BBQ). Rarely can I remember - or even imagine - Japanese food this good. Nor I can imagine so much food in one place. Perhaps it was that it was the beautiful evening spent outside, or being surrounded by close friends, but I will always treasure the Usui's yakiniku parties. My mom and I owe them a big thank you.



Monday was a national holiday in Japan. Japanese often celebrate holidays by spending it with family or shopping. I did both (but for the record didn't buy anything). The evening was set aside for the Shikaoi summer festival. The weather could of been better but everyone from Stony Plain was glad it wasn't the stifling, humid, hot weather from last week. The culmination of the even was almost an hour of fireworks. Conveniently located next to the river by my house, we walked to the site of the festival. The top image of a tree is the "Summer Tree"; taken from somewhere and "planted" on the cement. The lower image is my lame attempt to capture some of the most wonderful, splendid, amazing, fireworks I have ever seen. (I think the picture looks like either an old-fashion bi-plane just expoded or a TIE-fighter. Look for it and you'll see it). I think the Stony Plain delegation will be talking about the fireworks for a long time. (In addition - in an interesting cultural aside that is neither humorous nor earth-shattering - throughout the day, on the hour, the site had been setting off loud, high, fireworks meant to alerted the town, at all times, that the main fireworks were still on. This continued up to half-an-hour before the event. The signal fireworks served the duel purpose to constantly check to cloud cover and ceiling in the rain before the event.)

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

No comments: