Tuesday, October 24, 2006

A Day in the Life of Blair

Really sorry about the recent Blogspot.com trouble. It seems to be all in the past now.

I was the recipient of a box of maple syrup cookies from one of the teachers that went to Stony Plain this month. I happily accepted the gift but in all honestly would have preferred something of my own choosing. Still, it was given in kindness and put to good use. At the moment - fresh from a returning group – my house is full of Canadian sweets. This makes me feel guilty. I decided I should share my cookies. Share is perhaps not the optimal word because one could also suggest bribe.

I try to attend English classes for kindergarteners very prepared. This includes sometimes bringing (positive) reinforcements with me, like stickers. I was a bit leery to bring maple syrup cookies into a kindergarten because they are very sweet and foreign looking. Comedically, I knew once I got all the kids hopped up on sugar, I could leave. I was worried the kids would reject the strange looking cookies on sight. However, my worries were unfounded. After practicing English introductions – which the did very well, all things considered – they deserved a small treat. Starting with the older kids (age 5) I handed them out. Everything got eaten because as the younger kids watched, they didn’t want to feel left out.

This leaves me to explain how I spent my afternoon: crashing. I far exceeded my normal daily sugar intake by eating three cookies this morning. I couldn’t help finishing the last two after I ate one as an example to show they were edible. It has left me speaking quickly with sore teeth. I should have remembered to bring my camera to capture some of the odd reactions. But in a sign of how normal everything feels, I didn’t think to bring it.

No comments: