Thursday, October 12, 2006

Exhausted

I took all the proper precautions including eating a big meal last night and getting lots of sleep beforehand, but I still feel like I want to rest this evening. Actually, I want to rest right now. I don't think returning from kindergarten exhausted is a sign of weakness; being the absolute center of attention by default is an exhausting job. I have an uneventful evening ahead where I can just sit around guilt-free and relax. I wonder if I have the strength to make dinner?

The teachers are aware that next year I will be seeing the kindergarten's five year olds at Shikaoi Sho and so that is where the focus is. However, in a special twist in regards to the 4 year olds, all their mothers came to participate in the class (in a telling cultural example; no fathers were present). To celebrate, we played a very large game of "Fruit basket" and "duck-duck-goose." The large scale duck-duck-goose game was very impressive, with children reaching amazing speeds. Playing in child/mother pairs, I must say, some mothers were very competitive.

Sorry for the small image below. I have no time or strength to do anything fancy. To me the image represents a normal instance at any kindergarten I go to. Kids hanging off me, pulling me in all directions. What all images fail to show is the unholy cacophony this group is making. Kids questioning me and at the same time others relating the small details of their busy lives.

No comments: