Tuesday, April 17, 2007

A sad first.

EEEK! My nightmare was realized today. There have been accidents and injuries in English class before but never caused by me. In a moment I wish I could forget I nearly bowled over one of the new grade ones today in class. I work hard to stay preciously aware of where all my students are around me at any given moment. I have become disciplined in considering my movements - limiting myself to careful motions only, never anything spastic or rushed - and suppressing my reflexes. Today my dedication failed me. During the activity the students were spread out in the classroom and I was calling out words. For emphasis raised my hands and in what I would characterize as a very normal hand gusture I hit the little guy above the eye on the brow. He had somehow gotten behind me without me knowing and kept very quiet, eerily so, like a hobbit or something, and then sprang forward at the wrong moment. He was barely touched and really more shocked than anything, but I still felt horrible. I wanted to go home, crawl into a hole and die I felt so bad. But by lunch all was forgiven, such is the healing power of smilies, hugs, school lunch, and sincere apologies.

2 comments:

Kami Akai said...

Awww kids are creepy like that, I'm just amazed that you haven't done it more than the one time.

Anonymous said...

eerily like a hobbit...

i like that .. haha.