Sunday, June 17, 2007

Fun With Internet News

This may only be of interest to hardcore news watchers - it which case they may have already seen it - the sight of a joke on Drudge Report; the first such joke I have ever seen on that most powerful of news sites. It struck me as an important event worth repeating. Throughout most of Saturday, which to put it in context means the slow Friday night period in North America, Drudge was running an Associated Press picture showing a Hamas militant on the phone (pictured below, click to enlarge). The significance lie in the small caption affixed to photo - the first bracketed comments to grace the sight - simply reading, "[Photo is not of editor Matt Drudge getting ready for '08]" A playful reference to Drudge's role in the coming US presidential elections. I laughed, but in truthfulness, I'm pretty lame. It's an interesting photo none the less: well composed and full of contradictions, it breaks some of the assumptions we have about Islamic Extremists. I apologize for not getting a screen grab for posterity's sake. The image has made the rounds of the internet by now.


To contrast a drab and depressing topic, I offer a humorous image of Keanu Reeves looking surprised. Again, I admit, I laughed. (Yeah for photoshop!)

No comments: