Monday, July 30, 2007

New smoke detector

I just had a very strange occurrence: At least my floor was clean when a crew from the electricity company came to install a new smoke alarm in my bedroom this afternoon. Today of all days! It was a surprise to me since this was all suppost to happen last month but instead happened today with half an hour's notice. Everything went smoothly and efficiently, as expected in Japan, and the smoke alarm was quickly installed. They even had cute little slippers for the four legs of their ladder. The only odd moment came when - get this - they took out a camera and asked me to pose with it. "Okay?" I thought, and grinned. I probably look very confused in the photo - still trying to grasp why they need a picture of me with the fire alarm - so its better that image never see the light of day. I had considered asking for a pic with my camera, since they thought it so worthy, but that might cross some sort of professional boundary, besides, my small camera had already been packed.

No comments: