Monday, July 16, 2007

Shikaoi Summer Fireworks


Sorry for the delay. I had a very full weekend. I am writing to you now from my day off. I had the option of watching yesterday's fireworks from my front door, but the advantage of going down to the site near my house is that that was where the action was. I had the good fortune to be invited to share the Mogami's blankets. I had started my day by playing park golf (my third time in two years) and visiting the High School festival. I also went for a transcendental run in the afternoon, but as this is probably of little interest to anyone else I will skip the details. The fireworks were great again this year and the weather just as depressing. The fireworks are far bigger than one would expect from a town the size of Shikaoi. It was fun to constantly bump into people I knew every time I turned around, I barely had time to eat, but which had to be done, because of all the great food at the preceding festival. My favorite fireworks are predictably the big ones that are sent high into the air and can be felt in the chest. The fireworks dwarfed the hill they were launched from in scale. In regards to the recent earthquake in Honshu today that might be making news today in Canada; all's fine here. It was notable for a fire at a nuclear power plant, but everything shut down automatically as expected. It was big but still leaves other areas waiting for The Big One.


1 comment:

Monsta said...

pretty fireworks :)