Thursday, October 18, 2007

Out of the deep freeze

Nothing to much to report from this side of the world. My students remain healthy and happy. Since before the bird incident temperatures have been falling; autumn returning with a blast of cold weather. Earlier in the week I had been cold wherever I was; outside and especially inside. I couldn't warm up. No amount of sweaters at work or at home could abate the coldness I felt throughout the day. Rain for most of Wednesday did nothing to help execpt freeze me to the bone. Even my students started to complain their hands were cold. Gratification today as my office finally turned on the heat. It's quiet a process in Hokkaido since old fashion boilers or space heaters are still used, not forced air systems, and so the system has to be slowly turned on. This week's cold snap also added to my worries about an animal in my gas heater since I would be needing it this week, espeically in the mornings, or else I would never have the will to get out of bed.

Seen in 7-11 today, three new flavors of Pringles potato chips: Tandori chicken, ethnic spice and potato gratin. Who is eating these things? Pringles aren't my favorite potato chip to begin with but thoughts of the chemical magic that was wrought to create those flavors will keep me away.

No comments: