Sunday, February 24, 2008

カミホロナイ雪祭り。




Every year the Parent-Teacher Association at Kamihoronai elementary school holds a small snow festival with guests. The weather was foggy and snowy but in some ways couldn't have been better considering the wind that howls across the fields on sunny days. I'll take 1C and overcast anyday. Sadly the particularly moody weather doesn't show up well but I'm sure southern readers will appricate the fact they don't have to brave the cold themselves. This years highlight was the the competition of a brick pizza oven the preceeding fall. The Japanese surprise me with their interests and hobbies and this project was finished by the principal himself. I could nit pick about the oven-baked pizza but at the end of the day it tasted great on that snowy afternoon; I'm spoiled to be from a country with lots of Italian immigrants. If it wasn't for the exposure to world-class pizza in Canada, I would think the Japanese pizza pretty good, expect for the inclusion of corn on top which I will never understand. The crust was par excellence, which is not surprising considering it was sourced from my favorite bakery, Hana-Neko Panya-san.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

How come you've written kamihoronai in katakana? Is there no kanji for it?

bb said...

This is kanji for it. (神幌内) It was just a stylistic choice. You see it all the time here.