Thursday, March 27, 2008

Surviving Fugu

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us
Just like a TV drama, this post is titled "Surviving Fugu", and just like a sitcom writer, I am again under gun to get a post finished before the deadline. As evidenced by this post, I have survived a return visit to the same restaurant Sean and I visited in 2006. Uncle Terry had a hard time with the tofu on offer and an unidentified vegetable I have taken to calling "the space vegetable". By showing interest in fugu, the kind owner actually got one out of a tank and I was able to have the unique experience of petting it. Reality betraying my imagination; I was surprised it didn't puff up. Light on the details, I will skip to the end and reveal that the meal calumniated in an out-of-this-world rice porridge utilizing the broth from our fugu and vegetable nabe (stew). [click the small thumbnails to enlarge]

Free Image Hosting at www.ImageShack.us
Free Image Hosting at www.ImageShack.us

Free Image Hosting at www.ImageShack.us
Though are hotel is near this point, it is not nearly as busy in front of the hotel. The fugu restaurant, hidden from guide books and tourists, is a couple of blocks forward from this point, down a narrow road, and into an unasuming, kanji-strewn store front.

Free Image Hosting at www.ImageShack.us
I promised my aunt to include some pictures. Here taken from the Osaka Castle grounds. Great weather for a walk with the locals.

Free Image Hosting at www.ImageShack.us
Also at the request of my aunt, a silly picture of me. Here something shiny has caught my attention.

No comments: