Tuesday, May 08, 2007

Sandwiches are Beautiful


It won't come as to much of a surprise to those that know me that I love sandwiches. Sure I like good Italian food or good sushi, but when it comes to something I could eat everyday, everymeal; it must look toward the humble sandwich.

The Tsuchiya's house in Koriyama, well quieter that it was when I was living there seven years ago for several tragic reasons, still often represents a hive of activity; extended family, friends, business associates, workmen, and delivery people are constantly moving in and out of the house. In attempting to subtract from the choas instead of add to it, I suggested one day for lunch we try good old fashion coldcut sandwiches. Nothing could be easier to offer the variety of people that could around for lunch any given day. On this particular day, nine people were aptly fed: Yukipapa, Kumama, Hiromi, Kaho, Shiho, Shigetaro and guest, and Shigetaku (but he left early for an appointment) with me taking the picture.

Afterward everyone raved about the sandwiches; claiming surprise about the simplness of just putting everything on the table for everyone to make their own. I was helped by quailty ingredients; I found great cheeses and sliced meats which cqn be hard to find in Japan. (We ended up going to what must be the only deli in Koriyama.) Bread too was key; using fresh - literaly hours old - crossants, baguettes and buns; all up to Japan's normally high standards. My Grandma M. will be happy to know it was a complete success!

On a side note: Even though I was trying to keep everything simple, the Japanese, and espesically Kumama, sometimes have a certain way things ought be done. I wanted to just plop the sliced meat and cheese on plates and open the bags of buns on the table. I desperately hoped not to give Kumama and Hiromi extra work for what I had earlier advertised as a quick and easy meal. I promised it would taste the same. We humorously nearly came to blows in the kitchen because Kumama was strongly of the opinion that the meat, cheese and tomatoes should be neatly arranged on plates and the table set par excellence. (She won.)

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

when you say "came to blows" you don't mean a fist fight right ?

ps: in your profile picture you kinda look like the Snow Patrol lead singer. cool haha ...

bb said...

No no.... It was all in good fun!

and ps.. I don't get the snow patrol reference. :)
/me turns to wiki.

Anonymous said...

hmm , no close up picture in the wiki. google search "gary lightbody" instead .. haha.

Anonymous said...

heh, silly snadwich maker guy, how goes it in the land down under err w/e(jk)....rofl.

Seems like you are adapting pretty well. Im sure you are gonna get osme culture shock when you come back this way.

bb said...

Very astute of you shade; it is indeed something I worry about.

Anonymous said...

Hi. Nice blog about the Tsuchiya's . I was there too, about 10 years ago. Your blog made me miss them so... :) . Maybe you've heard from them about an exchange student from the philippines? Actually, I was the fourth exchange student to have stayed with them. :)

bb said...

Wow. I can't believe you found my site.